Thursday, July 18, 2013

Here comes the pop of color....

photo copy 12

All I can say is I love it! Fabric is like the icing on the cake. The eat-in area in the kitchen is pretty, but these pillows just added that pop of color and fun that I was looking for. I have been going back & forth for weeks trying to decide which fabric combinations to use. If you walked into my house over the last 2 to 3 months there were always different fabric samples sitting on this table. I have to live with the print for a few days, see it in different lights, and get a few opinions on it. Usually after a few days of looking at it in the space I just know. Unfortunately, for the last month I kept rejecting my choices. Nothing felt right until last week.  I brought home this turquoise starfish fabric home and it coordinated well with the main inspiration fabric, which will be across the room, as well as the red geometric print I already knew I wanted to use.

Here are a few pictures of Robin making the pillows. We ended up making four of the turquoise pillows in size 24" and three of the red pillows in 22". I wanted to hit he lip of the window and also wanted some height difference in the two pillows. Since the red is such a strong color we decide to make those the smaller ones. Robin and I agreed if we made the reds the larger ones they would over power the turquoise one. Also since I already have red chairs and bar stool (not visible in the picture) I wanted the turquoise pop.

Here are the supplies you will need. Everything can be found online.

photo

Interfacing going on the pillow fabric

photo copy 2

Attaching the handmade piping. Click here for the cord that goes inside the piping.

photo copy

To help attach zipper, use sew through double sided tape to hold zipper in place.

photo copy 3

When working with a fabric that has a distinct print, it is really important to center it so you like the final outcome.

photo copy 11

Cutting the back side. Make sure to find the grain or straight edge.photo copy 5

If you don't have a wilting foot, you can use the zipper foot and move the needle to the edge.

photo copy 7

This is a new product. It's a size 6 invisible zipper  by the yard. They are great for home dec projects.

photo copy 9

Lastly get your pillow forms and stuff your pillows. To make the corners nice and full take a bit of loose pillow stuffing and put it into the corners. This will fill the out nicely. Beautiful pillows that really have that wow factor!
pillow crop

This project really reminded me that just adding a few decorative pillows can really change up a typical room for not a lot of money. Hopefully you will be inspired to make a few yourself.

Enjoy!

Regina & Robin

3 comments:

  1. Those pillows are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. […] and kitchen are more on the modern side. To get a better feel of the house take a look here and here. Thanks in advance for your […]

    ReplyDelete